cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 ASDM VPN

kscanlan7420
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for a good how to with regard to setting up VPN's with ASDM on an ASA 5510. I have ASA version 7.2(2) and ASDM Version 5.2(2). I am looking for a few good examples like, do it this way if you want to....

For example with the ASA, I an not sure what the steps are for creating a VPN endpoint. I am coming in mid stream, so I am not sure which tunnels have actual endpoints and which tunnels are just using the default info with the shared key. I know I can go through the VPN wizard, but am looking for the manual way as well with ASDM. For example Tunnel groups, Group Policy looking for a quick and simple approach to VPN's.

3 Replies 3

jwalker
Level 3
Level 3

The best advice is to NOT build VPNs with ASDM (especially site-to-site). I strongly recommend spending time getting to know how to do it via the CLI. You will eliminate lots of headaches down the road.

I'll take the advice, but would like to know why you say that? For what should be fairly straight forward, what does the CLI do better then the ASDM interface with regard to site to site vpn?

In my opinion, ASDM fragments the creation of VPNs too much (if you don't use the Wizard). Basically, you have to make changes in five different places for it to work right. In the CLI, you type 10-15 sequential commands and it works. I think it is easier to get confused and forget things if you use ASDM. Plus ASDM is less forgiving if you make a mistake. The CLI will take things that ASDM cannot. If you are uncomfortable with the CLI, I would recommend using ASDM's preview commands function b/c that way you can learn what is happening behind the scenes. Eventually, you can ditch ASDM. The CLI is better for almost everything compared to ASDM. The only 2 things I use ASDM for are to comment ACLs and to create SSH/RSA keys. Other than that, I the CLI is much more convenient, powerful, etc.