cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 - different Bundles and Options

Roble Mumin
Level 3
Level 3

From the ASA Data sheets it is not really clear if you can buy a "standard" ASA5510-BUN-K9 do stateful firewalling and VPN termination and later add a CSC-10 for further AV functionality.

They only reference the different editions like Anti-X, VPN or Firewall.

Can anyone clear this up.

I want to offer a customer a 5510 for firewall and VPN termination. And if he wants later upgrade it to do also AV inspection of the traffic.

The other way around if i order the Anti-X edition i can still do VPN termination or am i really forced to get an ASA for each functionality?

I am aware that i can't use IPS and CSC the same time but the approach as described above should be okay. Again the Data sheets are not really accurate on this issue.

Thanks for reading

Roble

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The firewall and vpn termination is all in the software - so you'll have this no matter which ASA you purchase. (If you're talking about SSL vpn's then it's still in the software although you'll need to buy the appropriate license.)

So your idea of a 5510 initially for fireall/vpn and later on providing the CSC module for Anti-X is spot on.

HTH

Andrew.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Thanks for the reply and the link but what i was asking was following.

The different Editions seem only to be a marketing issue saying that whatever problem you want to solve you can use the ASA in different ways for it.

So i wanted to make sure that if i order the more or less standard "ASA5510-K9-BUN" and use it for firewalling and VPN i could later decide to get an CSC Module and Upgrade it to do Anti-X functionality as well.

I don't want to end up with having a standard ASA 5510 and being told that i should have bought the Anti-X Edition in the first place or worse get an ASA for Anti-X and get an ASA for VPN and firewalling.

Thanks for reading

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The firewall and vpn termination is all in the software - so you'll have this no matter which ASA you purchase. (If you're talking about SSL vpn's then it's still in the software although you'll need to buy the appropriate license.)

So your idea of a 5510 initially for fireall/vpn and later on providing the CSC module for Anti-X is spot on.

HTH

Andrew.

That answer was exact what i was looking for.

Thanks Andrew.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card