Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5520: Support GVRP??

chrisbicm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am currently trying to configure sub-interfaces on an ASA 5520. I have a Dell switch that I will be attaching it to which only supports GARP VLAN Registration Protocol(GVRP). I was just wondering if it is possible for me to switch the trunking policy to GVRP on my ASA??

Thanks,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That switch is capable of 802.1q trunking. On the Dell switch I believe all you have to do is create a trunk port on the port you have your ASA connected to and define the proper vlans that can be tagged on that port. On the ASA create a sub-interfaces and put each interface in its appropriate vlan.

EX.

interface GigabitEthernet0/2.1

vlan 12

interface GigabitEthernet0/2.2

vlan 31

I think the limitation is 64 vlans.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

froggy3132000
Level 3
Level 3

GVRP is the non-proprietary equivalent to Cisco's VTP. What you are looking for is 802.1q not GVRP. Does your dell switch support 802.1q trunking?

Froggy,

I am not sure... to be honest the documentation I have on the switch is limited but I assume it does. I found a document though that says a Catlyst from Cisco does supoort GVRP so I assumed that the ASA would but maybe not. If anyone else out there knows if there is a way for me to do this I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Chris

I just gave you the way to do it. What model dell switch do you have?

I have a Dell PowerConnect 2724.

Thanks

That switch is capable of 802.1q trunking. On the Dell switch I believe all you have to do is create a trunk port on the port you have your ASA connected to and define the proper vlans that can be tagged on that port. On the ASA create a sub-interfaces and put each interface in its appropriate vlan.

EX.

interface GigabitEthernet0/2.1

vlan 12

interface GigabitEthernet0/2.2

vlan 31

I think the limitation is 64 vlans.

Froggy,

Thanks a lot for the help so far. I actually have set up 2 seperate VLANs on my ASA...

int g0/0.1

vlan 10

nameif Outside66

ip address 66.38.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.224

int g0/0.1

vlan 20

nameif Outside64

ip address 64.187.xx.xxx 255.255.255.224

On my Dell switch I set the port connected to g0/0 as a trunk port and set up the port to accept information from both Vlan 10 and Vlan 20. Now for testing I cant even ping the ip of the switch from the ASA..... I figured that would be the first step but I cant even get that to work. I assume that I am missing something small. Im not sure if you have any other suggestions but if you do they'd be appreciated. (Do I need to set up trunking on the ASA?)

Thanks,

Chris

Both of your interfaces are the same, I hope that is a typo. As long as the switch is configured properly that should be it. I have never used a dell switch but it should be fairly simple.

Froggy,

Yeah that was a typo sorry. Ok man I will just keep on plugging away at it. Thanks a lot for the help, much apreciated.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: