Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5520: Support GVRP??

chrisbicm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am currently trying to configure sub-interfaces on an ASA 5520. I have a Dell switch that I will be attaching it to which only supports GARP VLAN Registration Protocol(GVRP). I was just wondering if it is possible for me to switch the trunking policy to GVRP on my ASA??

Thanks,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That switch is capable of 802.1q trunking. On the Dell switch I believe all you have to do is create a trunk port on the port you have your ASA connected to and define the proper vlans that can be tagged on that port. On the ASA create a sub-interfaces and put each interface in its appropriate vlan.

EX.

interface GigabitEthernet0/2.1

vlan 12

interface GigabitEthernet0/2.2

vlan 31

I think the limitation is 64 vlans.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

froggy3132000
Level 3
Level 3

GVRP is the non-proprietary equivalent to Cisco's VTP. What you are looking for is 802.1q not GVRP. Does your dell switch support 802.1q trunking?

Froggy,

I am not sure... to be honest the documentation I have on the switch is limited but I assume it does. I found a document though that says a Catlyst from Cisco does supoort GVRP so I assumed that the ASA would but maybe not. If anyone else out there knows if there is a way for me to do this I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Chris

I just gave you the way to do it. What model dell switch do you have?

I have a Dell PowerConnect 2724.

Thanks

That switch is capable of 802.1q trunking. On the Dell switch I believe all you have to do is create a trunk port on the port you have your ASA connected to and define the proper vlans that can be tagged on that port. On the ASA create a sub-interfaces and put each interface in its appropriate vlan.

EX.

interface GigabitEthernet0/2.1

vlan 12

interface GigabitEthernet0/2.2

vlan 31

I think the limitation is 64 vlans.

Froggy,

Thanks a lot for the help so far. I actually have set up 2 seperate VLANs on my ASA...

int g0/0.1

vlan 10

nameif Outside66

ip address 66.38.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.224

int g0/0.1

vlan 20

nameif Outside64

ip address 64.187.xx.xxx 255.255.255.224

On my Dell switch I set the port connected to g0/0 as a trunk port and set up the port to accept information from both Vlan 10 and Vlan 20. Now for testing I cant even ping the ip of the switch from the ASA..... I figured that would be the first step but I cant even get that to work. I assume that I am missing something small. Im not sure if you have any other suggestions but if you do they'd be appreciated. (Do I need to set up trunking on the ASA?)

Thanks,

Chris

Both of your interfaces are the same, I hope that is a typo. As long as the switch is configured properly that should be it. I have never used a dell switch but it should be fairly simple.

Froggy,

Yeah that was a typo sorry. Ok man I will just keep on plugging away at it. Thanks a lot for the help, much apreciated.

Chris

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card