Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Keeps booting to Rommon!

chrisbicm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently had to re-format, add a new activation-key, and add the asdm504.bin and asa704-k8.bin to my ASA 5520 (I accidentaly erased the memory on the machine). Now currently everytime I use the "reload" command it just loads straight into Rommon#.... when I get to the Rommon# prompt all I have to do is type.... "boot" and it loads my asa704-k8.bin file and loads up my config and looks good. I am just wondering is there a way that I would be able to easily set it so it loads the image automatically?

asa2(config)#show boot

BOOT variable = disk0:/asa704-k8.bin

Current BOOT variable = disk0:/asa704-k8.bin

CONFIG_FILE variable = disk0:/startup-config

Current CONFIG_FILE variable = disk0:/startup-config

asa2(config)# show disk0:

Initializing disk0: cache, please wait....Done.

-#- --length-- -----date/time------ path

8 2995 Jun 07 2006 06:30:02 startup-config

9 5437440 Jun 07 2006 06:18:04 asa704-k8.bin

10 5958324 Jun 07 2006 06:24:08 asdm504.bin

51515392 bytes available (11431936 bytes used)

Thanks,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chris,

0x00112002 -> meaning boot from TFTP server, if fails, go to rommon.

The "config-register 0x1' is ok, as this will instruct ASA to load from default image.

As a precaution (same goes to me), pls backup the config (evem though it will not delete the config file).

Rgds,

AK

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

tvanginneken
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

try adding the "boot system disk0:/asa7xx-k8.bin" to your config.

Kind Regards,

Tom

Tom,

Thanks a lot for the response, I gave that a try and I got the following error. I have no clue what is going on and I dont know why it wont boot the image.... even though it says it should.

icm-asa2(config)# boot system disk0:/asa704-k8.bin

ERROR: Unable to set this url, it has already been set

Remove the first instance before adding this one

Thanks,

Chris

ps: Im not sure but I have a feeling its something I have to set within the Rommon prompt but I have no idea what.... Unfortunately

Hi Chris,

could you have a look in the config and see if the is already a "boot system" command present? Remove it (if it's there) and replace it with the right one.

Regards,

Tom

Tom,

I took a look at the config and the only "boot system" command was pointing to my asa704-k8.bin file so I am really at a loss here. I am fairly certain as I mentioned it must be something in Rommon that needs to be set at initial boot but I am just not sure what to set to make it so its doesnt boot into Rommon and just loads my .bin file. Any other suggestions?

Here is a readout of what it says after I reload:

Evaluating BIOS Options ...

Launch BIOS Extension to setup ROMMON

Cisco Systems ROMMON Version (1.0(10)0) #0: Fri Mar 25 23:02:10 PST 2005

Platform ASA5520

Management0/0

Ethernet auto negotiation timed out.

Interface-4 Link Not Established (check cable).

Default Interface number-4 Not Up

Use ? for help.

rommon #0>

I am not sure why it is trying to use the Interface-4?

Thanks a lot for the help,

Chris

no boot system disk0:/asa704-k8.bin

It means you have already set boot image .. Just change the config-register value to 0x2102 and then reload it

sorry 0x1

sean
Level 3
Level 3

I ran into a similar issue awhile back. Make sure your config register is set to:

Configuration register is 0x1

This kinda threw me off as it is different from routers. Hope this helps.

Sean,

If I use the confreg command, that will erase all my current configurations correct? And also will that erase my asa704-k8.bin file from my disk0: or just my startup and running configs?

Thanks a lot (so close to fixing this finally),

Chris

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chris,

Check the current confreg value using:

rommon #1> confreg

When ASA asked to change, choose no 'n'. What's the stated value?

The reason why your ASA always boot to rommon was due to the confreg value where if character numbers 0 and 1 are not set to automatically boot an image, then the security appliance by default will boot directly into ROMMON.

That's why you need to manually execute 'boot' to make the firewall boot to normal operational mode.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/multisec/asa_sw/v_70/cref_txt/c.htm#wp1968384

The value '0x1' is to allow ASA to boot from your specified boot system (local flash - disk0:/asaxxxx.bin).

It will not erase your config & image file, but always keep your last known good configuration as backup. Image file can on;y be deleted using delete or erase command, or if format the flash.

Rgds,

AK

Ak,

Yeah my Confreg value is:0x00112002

would you be able to provide me with the command I enter in rommon to set the confreg back, I assume its just confreg = 0x1 but Id like to make sure

Thanks (As always you've been a great help)

Chris

And also, if your boot system returned error message:

ERROR: Unable to set this url, it has already been set

Remove the first instance before adding this one

Try to change it to use flash -> boot system flash:/asa704-k8.bin, OR clear it first before re-enter the boot system command.

This option is only available for the ASA platform, and indicates the internal Flash card. Any keyword flash or disk0 can be used as they are aliased.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/multisec/asa_sw/v_70/cref_txt/ab.htm#wp1348883

Rgds,

AK

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chris,

0x00112002 -> meaning boot from TFTP server, if fails, go to rommon.

The "config-register 0x1' is ok, as this will instruct ASA to load from default image.

As a precaution (same goes to me), pls backup the config (evem though it will not delete the config file).

Rgds,

AK

AK,

Wow thanks a lot... without your help I would still be wondering why it was going into Rommon and I wouldnt even have my new image from my tftp server, you saved me big time

THANKS!!!

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card