Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ASA options for FW and IPS with High Availability

Question 1:

-----------

I am looking for IPS solution for customer and checking the following ASA part number;

ASA5540-AIP20-K9

(ASA 5540 Appliance w/ AIP-SSM-20, SW, HA, 4GE+1FE, 3DES/AES)

What does the HA means here - is it only the software ?

In that case do we have to buy a second unit ( at the same price) for failover ?

( I was wondering whether ASA also has a cost -effective failover solution like PIX had - a reduced price for the failover unit ).

If I select the ASA VPN edition is there any way to add IPS module in it ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: ASA options for FW and IPS with High Availability

Hi,

Q: What does the HA means here - is it only the software ? In that case do we have to buy a second unit ( at the same price) for failover ?

The "ASA5540-AIP20-K9" is only for 1 unit of ASA, with HA (active/active,active/standby) software feature. You have to add/buy another unit to achieve HA/recundancy.

I think the price for all unit is still the same, as ASA does not have unit to purposely do the FO function.

Q: If I select the ASA VPN edition is there any way to add IPS module in it ?

Extensive Malware Mitigation & Intrusion Prevention is included, as mentioned in "Table 3. Network Security at the VPN Gateway" in:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_data_sheet0900aecd80402e3f.html

Rgds,

AK

1 REPLY

Re: ASA options for FW and IPS with High Availability

Hi,

Q: What does the HA means here - is it only the software ? In that case do we have to buy a second unit ( at the same price) for failover ?

The "ASA5540-AIP20-K9" is only for 1 unit of ASA, with HA (active/active,active/standby) software feature. You have to add/buy another unit to achieve HA/recundancy.

I think the price for all unit is still the same, as ASA does not have unit to purposely do the FO function.

Q: If I select the ASA VPN edition is there any way to add IPS module in it ?

Extensive Malware Mitigation & Intrusion Prevention is included, as mentioned in "Table 3. Network Security at the VPN Gateway" in:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_data_sheet0900aecd80402e3f.html

Rgds,

AK

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content