Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASA QoS VOIP to Hosted Provider

I would like some input with my QoS configuration on an ASA5505 for VOIP. The firewall is connected to a DSL connection that is 768K up and 5 Mb down. I would like to ensure the VOIP calls to a hosted provider receive priority without reserving predetermine a amount of bandwidth. I want the VOIP calls to always be the last traffic dropped or delayed. The firewall has a 100MB outside interface connected to a DSL modem that sends traffic 768K up, will using LLQ work as my configuration below?

I ask because I saw another posting online where someone stated “adding the basic QOS commands to the ASA doesn't do the trick.  The problem is that the ASA has a 100MB connection to the DSL router and as far as the ASA is concerned there is no congestion and pushes out the data as fast as it can and never really priorities anything.” I not sure if that is true or false, when I applied the first configuration and used the command show priority-queue statistics outside I see Packets Transmitted = 41497.

Otherwise I have come up with another configuration to shape all traffic and prioritize the VOIP traffic using the second configuration below. Although when I use this configuration the bytes do not increase on the counters when I enter the command show priority-queue statistics outside.

LLQ Only

priority-queue outside

queue-limit 120

tx-ring-limit 3

class-map cl-priorityqos

match dscp ef

policy-map po-qosoutside

class cl-priorityqos

priority

service-policy po-qosoutside interface outside

Shaping + LLQ

priority-queue outside