Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Routing (Network Addressing)

csco11029214
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have configured an ASA 5510 at our data center. The problem I am facing is that in the network range of 0 to 255 there are servers with /24 masking and these are already routed by the router. I want to deploy the ASA firewall only to 6 of these servers which currently have the address from .9 to .14 and the firewall has the address .8 on its internal interface. How should I deploy or further subnet the network of /24 so that these 6 servers can be routed through the firewall instead of the router.

Regards,

Murtaza

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Murtaza

You have a couple of choices really.

1) If you don't want to readdress your servers you could use the ASA in transparent mode and place the 6 servers in one vlan and leave the rest of the servers in the original vlan. Note that your are using 2 vlans but the same IP subnet and the ASA bridges between the 2 vlans.

2) Create a new subnet for your 6 servers plus the ASA ie. a /29 or /18 subnet would do the trick but obviously you now need to readdress both your servers and the inside interface of the ASA.

HTH

Jon

Thanks Jon,

Both the options are quite achievable although the first one looks better, will have to work around with it. Thanks again.

Regards,

Murtaza

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card