cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Tftp Command

chrisbicm
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to load the asdm504.bin file onto one of my ASAs but the command keeps failing.... the command that I had was: copy tftp://your-server-IP/pathtofile flash:/asdm504.bin but that isnt working... does the pathtofile actually have to be the full path? Or am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Chris

3 Replies 3

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chris,

It should be "copy tftp://server[/path]/filename {flash:/ | disk0:/ | disk1:/}[path/]filename".

But other valid commands can also be used, as follow:

1. copy tftp://10.1.1.1/path flash:/xxx.bin

2. copy tftp flash:

* Here you need to put the image in your TFTP default directory so you don't have to specify the any path.

3. copy tftp disk0:

*you can also installed the image in disk0. Check the status using "dir", "dir flash" or "dir disk0" commands. The "dir" command will automatically show the Flash status.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps6120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008054dbea.html#wp1053013

Rgds,

AK

AK,

Thanks for the help, my situation (as we had discussed earlier in the week).... 1 of my ASAs had a missing image file so it wouldnt boot.... I retrieved the .bin file from my other ASA and sent it to the non-working ASA. Now the ASA booted but I get some errors while its booting. It does however get me to the ciscoasa> prompt, which is much better then the ROMMAN# prompt from before

Open or write(ffsdev/2/write/32) failed

Could not initialize system files in flash

When I try to do a dir I get this error

Invalid DOS media or no media in slot

I also get this error:

Running Activation Key 0x00000000

Key not Valid, use default settings only

My Cisco contact told me that I would have to get a new Key generated for that last error... but whats going on with the other errors?? Any help would be great

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

I believed this was a 'chain reaction' impact when you accidentally delete the ASA image file.

From the CLI, can you issue the 'show version' command. Look for the following parameter:

-> System image file is "disk0:/pix701.bin" -> ASA uses disk0 instead of Flash. PIX uses Flash.

-> Serial Number: xxx000000xT --> use this serial no when applying new activation key from Cisco

-> Running Activation Key: 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 --> if the valuse all ZEROs, you either need to get new from Cisco or obtained the key from your previous saved config with 'show version' details

-> Configuration register is ?x? -> what's the value?

Can you see all those info/details? Compared with your active ASA.

Once your ASA is reloaded with activation key, then your Flash should be accessible/recognize (error message because ASA doesn't recognize it). If necessary, format the flash/disk0 before you start to load new PIX7.x image into it.

Good luck.

Rgds,

AK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: