cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM is unable to read the configuration from ASA.

Daniel M
Level 1
Level 1

Earlier today I was configuring the Cisco ASA (7.2(2)) using the ASDM, but after a reboot of the appliance I now get the following:

ASDM is unable to read the configuration from ASA.

This happens shortly after ?Loading running configuration from the device? appears in the ASDM status window.

I have tried restarting both the appliance and my workstation, but the issue persists. I have also tried clearing the ASDM cache, but that doesn?t help either. The issue occurs whether I used the Cisco ASDM Launcher or the web interface.

SSH access to the appliance works fine.

Thanks for any assistance (why is it that Cisco?s GUIs always have issues?!?).

7 Replies 7

rochopra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is the version of ASDM file you have on ASA.

I have seen Asdm ver 5.2.2 works fine with ASA ver 7.2.2

~Rohit

Unfortunately, the same-5.2(2).

drigoldi
Level 1
Level 1

I have exactly the same issue , SSH works fine but ASDM and Web interface reply with that error message "ASDM is unable to read the configuration from ASA".

My ASA is a 5520 ver 7.1(2) with ASDM 5.1(2)

Could it be something related to Java ?

Thanks for any hint.

drigoldi
Level 1
Level 1

I solved the problem re-installing JAVA 6 Update 7.

Regards

The java update 10 is not compatible with asdm. You will need to downgrade the java version to update 6 or 7.

Thank you very much, I noticed on the community I'm not the only one who had such an issue.

With Java 6.0 update 7 i'm gold.

Thanks again

lennbur
Level 1
Level 1

Uninstalled java 6 update 10 - downloaded java 6 update 7 - that resolved the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: