cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic VPN

mingyee83
Level 1
Level 1

hi, I'm kindda new in this field. I've to setup a small VPN between 2 location. I'm not sure about the hardware & configurations needed. Is anyone able to recommend or advise me on this? thanks.

regards,

mylim

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Mylim

About the Hardware selection it depends lots of factors such as feature you like to enable in them (like routing,security,internet,remote access vpns, qos etc.,).

You can even run vpn between your locations using a normal startup router available in Cisco 800 series models which is also coming up with wireless features for your lan.

If you already have firewalls in place which can directly get connected to the outside world you can create a vpn tunnel between both the ends and pass on ur traffic through that.

If you are more concerned about security and not to expose your firewall directly you can have both router to take care of routing feature and firewall for security features and have the tunnel terminated onto the firewall which is again placed behind the router.

In this case your router is exposed to the outside world.

Also both the router and firewalls are for different purpose (routing/wan & security).

But you will have the alternate flavors enabled on both the devices irrespective of their own functionality.

regds

Hi spremkumar,

Thanks for your response.

Actually I'm planning to connect up 2 location which has their individual LAN. Am i able to do it without going through ISP. for example, i'm able to setup 2 VPN modem together via a telephoneline directly? or a leased line? Please advice. Thanks.

Regards,

mylim

Hi

You can connect the locations using a point to point link using modems and routers.

AFAIK you dont have anything called VPN modems available.

If you want to connect the locations using telephone line you will be able do it but the throughput which you will get will be very less and recommended to do so.

Its better to go up with a leased line connectivity between your locations.

regds

Hi Spremkumar,

Thanks again. Actually I'm looking for the simplest & easiest solution which is not so complicated as i'm still new.

I cant really do point to point as the 2 different location are far apart. therefore, i'm loking into this solution.

I also looking into any cisco VPN router that can be good & low cost enough for my solution. Thanks.

Regards,

mylim

Hi Mylim

It also depends on the connectivity you have in place out there.

It actually decides the kinda router you can go for.

Also the no of users on both the sides and the approx bandwidth you expect to go out from the LAN to WAN to the other locations.

About routers and their product sheets you can verify this link..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/index.html

regds

Thanks for the info Kumar, actually I'm designing my PA system to integrate into VPN network, which I can page from different branch of a company in different places. Meantime, I'm intending to carry my PA audio signal over the network. Do I actually need a high bandwidth for this sorta application? Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: