Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Better VPN termination point?

Which would be a better termination point for an IPSEC (site to site) VPN for an extranet (Internet) connection to a business partner? I have a 7206VXR Internet screening router (I can get a VAM and proper 3DES IOS) or a PIX525 firewall (I can get a VAC and I already have a 3DES lic.) just inside the 7206?

• Other Security Subjects
2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Better VPN termination point?

An integrated network design is one in which the WAN, VPN, and IOS firewall functions are run on the same device, for example, on a remote site gateway. Integrated network designs are common in remote offices because of their simplicity and manageability.

An overlay design is one in which any single function, or all functions, are separated, as in headend designs. Firewall functionality is usually separate, the WAN and VPN functions are often integrated (meaning that the functions run on the same device), and VPN functionality is frequently separate from the WAN and firewall functions.

The primary advantage of an overlay design in the headend configuration is that the separation of tasks optimizes network performance. Each device may be dedicated to one or two tasks, rather than all three, in a heavy traffic environment. For example, ACLs (Access Control Lists) require a fair amount of CPU utilization. Therefore, performing ACL tasks on a device other than the gateway allows the gateway more power to support network traffic.

Basically everything boils down to your network traffic and the load placed on the router and pix.

se

Re: Better VPN termination point?

If you terminate to the 7206, configuration and management will be much easier, plus you can use routing protocols.

Views
Helpful
Replies