cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

block Mail Spam

m.abdallah
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco PIX 515 ver 6.x and Cisco IDS 4230 ver. 3.1(2)S23 ( IDS Manager and Viewer )

I want to protect my mail server from Mail Spams ( emails sent to more than 200 Recipients on my mail server. )

The IDS and the Mail Server installed in the internal side ( inside interface ) of the PIX 515

Is it possible for the IDS OR the PIX to block the email-spams ( don't deliver this emails to the Mail Server ) ???

Can anyone help my in this configuration ?

Thanks

Regards

Mohamed Abdallah

4 Replies 4

astuckey
Level 1
Level 1

Some standard parts of email delivery are going to work against you here.

While a shun or a TCP reset might be issued fast enough to interrupt a specific message, most mail servers are set to retry delivery in case of failures. The message may time out after a few days, but you have no control over that.

Also, shunning popular mail servers like hotmail.com might cause disruptions you don't want.

This really seems like a problem better solved elsewhere in the system.

hi,

Thanks for you reply.

i am using IMAIL ver. 6.x as Mail Server

Do you suggest TCP reset or block signature # 3106 on the IDS ?

What is the differenece between TCP reset and Block ?

Why do you think servers like hotmail may cause disruptions ??

how can I solve this problem elsewhere in the system as you suggest ?

Regards

Mohamed Abdallah

8ssethi
Level 1
Level 1

Best way to block spam is on the email server unless cisco comes out with IDS signature that can control it. What i use is a software solution on our company exchange server to filter out domains from RBl list. Email me i will let u know in detail.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply

I am using IMAIL ver. 6 as a Mail Sever

What about the Sig. # 3106 on Cisco IDS which control Mail Spam ?

Would you please send me more info. to my email address : mabdalla@access.com.eg

Regards

Mohamed Abdallah

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: