Helpful
Replies

Blocking MSN sending and receive files

ramiro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have the following problem.

In our company the use of the msn is had allowed. The version that is used is 6.0 and what is wanted is to block the sending and reception of files through this application.

We have realized that this version allows that this process should happen equally across the port 1863, which according to the papers of the msn is only for chat.

Then, how can I block this without blocking the chat option?.

I have understood that teh Feature Pack of Cisco has this property.

We have a Cisco PIX Firewall 525 OS version 6.3 (1).

Thanks in advance.

Ramiro Marulanda Z.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

I do not think it is possible to block MSN messenger at all. The messenger tries using port 1863 and if that does not work, it will try a number of other ports. I have been told that the same goes for the IP address it builds a connection to. I feel that the only real option is to opt for an application layer filter.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

I do not think it is possible to block MSN messenger at all. The messenger tries using port 1863 and if that does not work, it will try a number of other ports. I have been told that the same goes for the IP address it builds a connection to. I feel that the only real option is to opt for an application layer filter.

Hi Donald and thank you very much for your help.

I believe that what you recommend is the most immediate solution.

R.@.M.

Hi,

access-list inside deny tcp any any eq 1863

access-list inside deny ip any 64.4.13.0 255.255.255.0

access-group inside in interface inside

*Remember to issue command clear xlate and save with command write mem

Hope this helps, Jay.

Yes, but what you recommend would block the possibility of "chat" and this is not what is claimed. The target is to block the sending of attached files only more NOT the "chat".

Regards,

Ramiro Marulanda Z.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: