Views
Helpful
Replies

Booting from cdrom

8rpalmer
Level 1
Level 1

Just got a brand new 4235 IDS appliance but it has 2.2.5.1 on it. I have the

3.0(1)S4 Upgrade CD. but how do I get the appliance to boot from it? I have a pc keyboard and monitor directly hooked up to the sensor. Do I have to modify the boot settings in the Setup utility? What key sequence do I use to emulate a "Stop"+"A" from a Sun keyboard?

Any Help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are correct about the 4230 appliances. They shipped before we changed our method of installation/recovery, and were not configured to boot to the CD-ROM drive by default. I can't remember when the change rolled into 4210 production, but all *currently* shipping appliances are configured with the correct boot order by default.

The instructions for upgrading/recovering sensors using the CD (version 2.5 and later) reference checking the boot order in BIOS, but do not go into detail about how to change it.

For the NRS and IDS-4220/4230 platforms:

1. Enter BIOS setup by pressing F2 while the system is booting (at the prompt).

2. Navigate to the "Boot" menu, and select "Boot Device Priority".

3. Select a boot device, and use "+" or "-" to move the device up or down in the list until the boot order is correct (Removable Devices>ATAPI CD-ROM>Hard Drive).

4. Press to exit out of the Boot Device Priority menu.

5. Navigate to the "Exit" menu, and select "Exit Saving Changes".

For the IDS-4210:

2. Navigate to the "Boot" menu.

3. Select a boot device (1st, 2nd, etc.), and press .

4. Select the appropriate device from the list (Floppy, ATAPI CDROM, or IDE-HDD), and press again.

5. Verify changes match the following:

1st Boot Device: [Floppy]

2nd Boot Device: [ATAPI CDROM]

3rd Boot Device: [IDE-HDD]

6. Navigate to the "Exit" menu, and select "Exit Saving Changes".

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

rwassom
Level 1
Level 1

The 4235 never shipped with 2.2.5.1, nor will 2.2.5.1 run on a 4235. Are you sure you have the right product ID and software version? Also, the 3.0(1)S4 CD will not work with the 4235 appliances. You must use a 3.0(5) or later Upgrade/Recovery CD to image a 4235. A compatible CD should have shipped with your appliance.

All currently shipping IDS appliances are configured from the factory to boot to the CD-ROM before the hard drive by default. No changes are necessary to boot to the CD.

The 4235 will also not run the 3.0(1)S4 software. It requires the 3.1(2)Sx CD or greater.

Are you confusing the newer 4235 (short long chassis with a blue front) with the older 4230 (tall grey front chassi) which can run the older 2.2.1.x and 2.5(x)Sy versions as well as the newer 3.0(x)Sy and 3.1(x)Sy versions?

I beg to differ. Had customer enter the setup utility and it was set to first boot from the floppy then the IDE hard drive. Also this was an RMA and there was no Upgrade CD Shipped with the sensor.

8rpalmer
Level 1
Level 1

Verifying with customer. I have not laid eyes on the physical box but I can telnet to it and nrvers replies 2.2.5.1 so I would assume, based on what you folks have told me is that it is a 4230 vs 4235 sensor. Waiting on verification form customer based on RU size and front cover color as well as PN and SN.

It is a 4230 (all Gray) and I verified that the boot sequence is is floppy then IDE HDD. I checked in our lab and the 4210's come set by default the same way.

You are correct about the 4230 appliances. They shipped before we changed our method of installation/recovery, and were not configured to boot to the CD-ROM drive by default. I can't remember when the change rolled into 4210 production, but all *currently* shipping appliances are configured with the correct boot order by default.

The instructions for upgrading/recovering sensors using the CD (version 2.5 and later) reference checking the boot order in BIOS, but do not go into detail about how to change it.

For the NRS and IDS-4220/4230 platforms:

2. Navigate to the "Boot" menu, and select "Boot Device Priority".

3. Select a boot device, and use "+" or "-" to move the device up or down in the list until the boot order is correct (Removable Devices>ATAPI CD-ROM>Hard Drive).

4. Press to exit out of the Boot Device Priority menu.

5. Navigate to the "Exit" menu, and select "Exit Saving Changes".

For the IDS-4210:

2. Navigate to the "Boot" menu.

3. Select a boot device (1st, 2nd, etc.), and press .

4. Select the appropriate device from the list (Floppy, ATAPI CDROM, or IDE-HDD), and press again.

5. Verify changes match the following:

1st Boot Device: [Floppy]

2nd Boot Device: [ATAPI CDROM]

3rd Boot Device: [IDE-HDD]

6. Navigate to the "Exit" menu, and select "Exit Saving Changes".

Thanks. I knew this was the way I needed to resolve the issue, I just wanted to know why the boot sequence was set the way it is ( to find out that it shouldn't be this way only helps me point out a problem which Cisco needs to correct).

Thanks everyone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: