Views
Helpful
Replies

Browse Network Neighbourhood and access Mapped Drives

wperris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am connecting to the VPN properly, but I cannot seem to browse network neighbourhood or access mapped drives? Any ideas on that?

Walter

6 Replies 6

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

are wins and dns settings getting passed to the vpn users?

When I do an ipconfig on the client PC I do see the the DNS and WINS addresses.

Walter

From my understanding NETBIOS is not broadcasted over the VPN. When you browse the network that is NETBIOS traffic, can you map a network drive with the IP address? If so then edit the LMhosts file to use a common name. Also if you wan tyou can publish a shares in AD and those will be broadcasted across the VPN.

broadcasts will not work across the vpn, but netbios should still be functional - you should be able to do a "net view" at the command prompt, and get a browse list . At a minimum, a net view \\servernamehere should kick back the list of shares availble on the machine "servernamehere", as that should be a directly netbios query to the server - wins should resolve the servername to an ip, and the request should work against the server

On your TCP Properties do you have "Clinet for Microsoft Networks" and File and Print Sharing" enabled?

Please rememebr to rate all posts

Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print Sharing is enabled. But I do not have a Domain Controller in the network, I am running the WINS services on a Win 2K Server (without ADS) and the network share is on another Win 2K Server (without ADS). Is that the problem?

Walter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: