cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a secondary Pix Failover woks like a Pix ?

caibil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

What i need to run a Pix Failover 525 series into a Pix, i need another activation key?, can i do it with software?

thanx

Das caibil

5 Replies 5

ssoberlik
Level 4
Level 4

Failover must have two identical PIX’s with a failover cable connected, failover feature enabled, both PIX’s running the same version of software and failover feature configured per the manual at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_61/config/failover.htm

eenest
Level 1
Level 1

OK - You have FO-BUN box and you want to use that box standalone.

Of course, it'll work just fine as standalone except the fact that it'll reboot every 24 hours (trying to bring the control back to the main unit) - BUT that will be the violaton of the s/w licensing agreement with Cisco.

You bought that box as a failover with high discount.

The h/w is the same - the main difference is the activation key. You will need the new key for that box.

My suggestion - you should contact your local Cisco rep and he/she will be happy to provide you with some idea how you can upgrade your license.

I heard that people was able to upgrade just by paying the difference.

Some small note - I'm not speaking for Cisco. I just have some experience with them and from what I know and seen - the most important factor is the people. Talk to them and they will be glad to help you.

-- Eugene

Hi,

are you sure that the failover bun PIX, alone, reboot every 24 hours?

Thanks,

Graz.

That's exactly what I seen.

One of my customers had the situation when they had to RMA the main unit and run on the failover unit for several days.

OK,

thank you

Graz.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: