Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Can a third-party 10/100 Ethernet PCI card be installed in a PIX 515?

Can a third-party 10/100 Ethernet PCI card be installed in a PIX 515?

It looks like a garden variety PCI slot, but I'm not sure about compatiblilty with other cards.

Thanks,

Frank

• Other Security Subjects
3 REPLIES

Re: Can a third-party 10/100 Ethernet PCI card be installed in a

Try an Intel pro 100 B. Worked OK for me...

I got into a heated debate here over a year ago when I posted that I had put a 3rd party NIC card in a 515 and it worked fine. I got jumped on by a ton of people saying that it couldn't be working but it was. It finally came out that it worked becasue I used an Intel card and supposedly Intel makes the Cisco card or something to that effect. I don't know how much, if any, of that is true or not. All I know is that it worked for over a year. I wouldn't be surprised if I found out that Netgear made the card and Cisco threw it's name on it and jacked the price about 500%! LOL I have since switched out to an actual Cisco card though. We were a smaller company before but have grown to the size where I needed to do failover on the firewall and I just wanted to eliminate any possible problems and go straight by the (Cisco) book.

Intel do make the Cisco cards, and the gigabit ones work too (in the 525 and 535).

I have always looked upon it as I look upon 3rd party RAM and flash, if it's the right spec. it will work fine. But if you have a problem be prepared to remove any 3rd party components (and still reproduce the problem) before bothering the TAC.

Views
Helpful
Replies