Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

can blaster worm effect cisco routers

Folks,

Can the blaster worm effect a router. Recently i heard from someone that they could not view the config of a router and called cisco and cisco told them that it might have been the blaster worm.

how does blaster get into the router?

how do we protect a router from being infected?

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: can blaster worm effect cisco routers

Routers are NOT susceptible to the Blaster worm (or any worm for that matter). The issue with not being able to view the config was probably that the router CPU was running high due to the increased traffic loads caused by the worm.

Re: can blaster worm effect cisco routers

Well, technically they are not susceptible to the Blaster virus, but they can be affected by the high network load that can be placed on your network due to the blaster virus.Several of my customer's networks were brought to a near halt due to the DoS that was a direct result of the worm.

Just thought I'd throw a non-Cisco response in there :)

I did have a customer who had non-Cisco network equipment that was in the process of an upgrade. We expedited the upgrade and the Cisco equipment had no problem dealing with the ACLs that were added to block the virus from spreading; whereas the non cisco equipment was completely locking up.

Denny

Views
Helpful
Replies