cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I bind two t1 circuits together for added bandwith in 3640 routers

hronhovd
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have a point to point t1 between two facilities. The circuit is getting overloaded at times and we are adding more sevices so we are installing a 2nd point to point t1. How can I bind the two circuits together in the 3640's I have at each end to give me a 3mb bandwith. I have been unable to find anything in the knowledge base yet.

Thanks,

Henrik Ronhovde

Evertrust Financial Gourp

RonhovdeH@evertrustfinancial.com

4 Replies 4

rjphillips
Level 1
Level 1

Henrik

Little off subject, but

You can use virtual interfaces and Multilink PPP. Information available here.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/793/access_dial/mpp_serial.html

I would imagine not all the configuration will apply to you. But it should be fairly easy to work out what parts do.

Hope this helps

Rhodri

peter.l
Level 1
Level 1

have you tried the ppp multilink?

jakelley
Level 1
Level 1

You can do this, but the router will still see them as two T-1s and seperate bandwidth. In other words the routers OS and processor will be doing the load balancing (using OSPF, EIGRP, etc). A 3640 should handle it though. Check this link out, it explains load balancing.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/46.html

There is another way using IMA, that is if you have plenty of money. I have worked with the four port versions on 3620 routers. These cards are way cool. When using IMA the router see up to X (four in my case) T-1s as a single pipe. The router's processor works way less, because the IMA cards do all the processing (SARing) and the router only has one path to choose. But beware, these cards are expensive and there are some bandwidth cost associated with IMA. After all it is ATM over T-1s.

Hope this helps.

hanchinal
Level 1
Level 1

You can use the Cisco IP CEF(Cisco Express Forwarding) featute, to logically load-balance your traffic across the 2 T1's. Cisco has lots of info about CEF on their site. Implementing CEf will give you a virtual 3 Meg pipe.

The other option is, as pointed out earlier, to use Multi-link PPP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: