cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I upgrade from 6.1(1) to 6.3.1 without upgrading the Activation key??

a_abhijit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

Can I upgrade my PIX 515-R -DMZ ver 6.1(1) to ver 6.3.1 by keeping the same activation key...??

Actually I had this 6.3.1 bin downloaded with me during the support contract but now this contract is lapsed and I want to upgrade the bin..??

Can I do that??

6 Replies 6

tohuang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Yes, you can use the same activation key after upgrade to 6.3.3

Thanks

Tony

Thanks for the reply...but I want to upgrade to 6.3.1 I guess it was a typo in your reply.

Secondly, I don't understand why do anyone upgrade the activation key if it is not required even during the OS upgrade.

Lastly, can I revert back to the original if something goes wrong and I have a proper backup with me?? Suppose if the os upgradtion fails??

Hi Abhijit,

The purpose of an activation-key is to turn on or off some of the features on the PIX; in essence, what capabilities of the PIX is authorized to be used is decided by the activation key. For e.g. Having DES or 3DES or having Failover capability is decided by the activation key. So, jumping from one PIX image to another does not necessarily associate an activation key change.

If the upgrade fails, you can always evert back to the old working image.

hope this helps,

yatin

The activation key is for features. It enables options like DES and 3DES. You should be able to revert back to the old OS if neccessary. Hope that helps.

Steve

Thank you very much for your precious advice. I think now I can really go ahead with the upgrade of OS version.

I my case of scenario I already have the show ver as:

Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.1(1)

Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 1.1(2)

Hardware: PIX-515, 32 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 200 MHz

Flash i28F640J5 @ 0x300, 16MB

BIOS Flash AT29C257 @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

Licensed Features:

Failover: Disabled

VPN-DES: Enabled

VPN-3DES: Disabled

Maximum Interfaces: 3

Cut-through Proxy: Enabled

Guards: Enabled

Websense: Enabled

Inside Hosts: Unlimited

Throughput: Unlimited

ISAKMP peers: Unlimited

Out of which I think the 3DES enabling feature Option is anyway freely available. So, by upgrading the OS ver effectively I will retain all the present features as well I will get to use the new OS features command set as bonus..right?? Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks to You all and the Great Cisco Documenatation Team...I upgraded safely without any hitch.

-Abhijit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: