cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use even viewer 4.1 for IDS 3.0

p2peterus
Level 1
Level 1

I have a IDS which is 3.0 and I am not getting alams on the CSPM, I get only route up or down and nofification , CAn I use IDS event viewer 4.1 to see the events from the IDS 4210, Do I need to configure anything on the IDS extra, This is UNIX base,

I used the Event viewer on IDS 4210 with 4.0 version and its working fine, I get the events.

Please let me know.

6 Replies 6

klwiley
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, Unfortunately the 4.X event viewer is not backwards compatible with 3.X sensors.

KLW

david.d
Level 1
Level 1

Is there something that prohibits moving to 4.1? I'm new to Cisco IDS and am unfamiliar with the previous version.

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You would need to use IEV 3.x to see events from 3.x sensors.

IEV 4.x only works with 4.x sensors.

If you have some sensors running 3.x and some sensors running 4.x, then you will need to load IEV 3.x on one machine, and IEV 4.x on a separate machine. The 2 versions of IEV can not be run on the same machine. NOTE: IEV can also not be run on the same machine as CSPM.

You mean to say I should not install IDS event viewer on the same m/c where the CSPM is intalled, Do I need to do any config on the sensor when I am intalling IDS event view 3.x.

Uninstall IEV and use Cisco Threat Response - it allows you to manage alarms from Cisco IDS 4.x,3.x, and RealSecure NetworkSensors from one console. Like CSPM, it too can not run on the same box as IEV - both use mysql. Right now Cisco Threat Response is free.

Correct, IEV should not be installed on the same machine as CSPM.

If you are managing the sensor with CSPM then through CSPM you will need to add the IEV machine as an additional destination for alarms.

Here is a link on how to configure this in CSPM for the sensor:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/ismg/policy/ver23i/idsguide/ch03.htm#xtocid2345617

If you are going to stop using CSPM and use IDM instead on the sensor itself then you can follow these directions:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/csids8/13872_01.htm#xtocid12