Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Can't browse network neighborhood over VPN

My company has multiple sites connected via VPN using Cisco 1600 Series router and PIX firewall. We have access to each other's networks just fine. However, we are trying to allow domain browsing through network neighborhood, but have had little success. I have followed all sorts of directions regarding WINS and LMHOSTS. I can map static IP addreses (the servers) to NETBIOS names no problem. I can establish trust between domains. However, I cannot see the opposing domain in Network Neighborhood. Having already tried all sorts of NT configuration options, I thought I would explore the firewall configuration options instead.

Any suggestions on getting things setup the way I would like?

Cisco Employee

Re: Can't browse network neighborhood over VPN

Can you connect directly with \\SERVERNAME? This is very strictly a microsoft problem. One common thing to watch out for is that there are TWO types of broswing: Local browsing and Domain browsing. If any Win9x machine runs file and print sharing networks with the Master Browser option set to automatic will break domain browsing for the segment that they are on. (Microsoft's assumption is that workgroups take priority over domains). Try setting the WORKGROUP name of the PC (Win9x) to the same as the Domain name.

All the domain traffic follows NETBIOS over IP riles (RFC1001/1002). If you can make WINS lookups, browsing should work.

CreatePlease to create content