Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can't browse network neighborhood when connected with VPN client

Hi all,

I'm using a Cisco VPN client under Win98 SE to connect to a PIX 5xx. Connection is established correctly and I can add network drives from the NT-domain I'm connected to by right clicking on "My Computer/Map network drive". But when I open the network neighborhood, I can't see any of the computers in the remote NT-domain.

Do I have to do something like "reload network neighborhood" after being connected via VPN? How do I do that, then?

Thanks for answers!

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Can't browse network neighborhood when connected with VPN cl

Are you pushing DNS and WINS info down onto the clients? These are necessary components for browsing via Network Neighborhood and contacting the PDC for domain logon. The lines in the PIX would be in the 'vpngroup' commands and would look similar to this example,

vpngroup vpn3000 dns-server 10.1.1.2

vpngroup vpn3000 wins-server 10.1.1.2

vpngroup vpn3000 default-domain cisco.com

Do you have this configured? If you have DNS but no WINS you may need to implement an LMHOSTS file on the client machine.

HTH

R/Yusuf

Yes, the 'vpngroup' commands you mentioned are configured on the PIX. But still I can't see the network neighborhood of the domain. The network neighborhood just shows my own computer an its workgroup, but not the shared folders of the other computers in the domain and the other computers themself.

As I wrote in my origin message: mapping network drives by doing sth. like '\\servername\directory' is no problem.

Do you have any more ideas, why I can't see any of the computers of the domain?

Bernhard

In spite of configuring WINS on the PIX and pushed it to the VPN client, you need enable "login to the Microsoft network" and disable "login use cached credential" in the VPN client settings.

After you get the VPN connection, you will be prompt for "username, password and domain name", after login to the NT domain, you should be able to see other hosts in your network neighborhood if your WINS server is working fine.

This is NT security requirement, without login to the domain, you will not see any other hosts inside the domain.

I enabled the option "login to the Microsoft network" and I logon to the domain with the "username, password and domain name"-dialog. There's no error message and the client is definitly in the domain, because all the non-vpn computers can see my vpn-client in their network neighborhood. The problem is, that the vpn-client can't see any of the non-vpn-computers of the domain. The network neighborhood of my vpn-client just shows himself and the startup workgroup (I think, because WIN98 can't logon to a NT-domain via VPN-connection at startup). So, I think the problem is not with the WINS configuration. Do you have another idea, why I can't browse the network neighborhood?

Bernhard

It sounds to me that the WiN98 PC itself has some issues there.

Because from your internal network, all the other PCs can see your VPN client PC wind98.

Can other PCs in your internal network map a drive to your PC's share ?

net use f: \\\sharename

Is that working ?

If you have another Win98 PC, do you have same problem ?

I have resolved many Network browsing over VPN before.

If you like, please open a TAC case, I have wind98 PC in my LAB, I can quickly set it up and try to login to your domain through VPN and make it working for you.

I'm not sure if this helps, but here goes.

I am able to browse my Network Neighborhood using the V3.5.2VPNClient, connecting to a Cisco 3030 VPN concentrator.

At your workstation, make sure you have the "Client for Microsoft Networks" included and configured to logon to your NT Domain. At boot-up, don't cancel the logon prompt, but just click ok and let the error message come up about not finding any Domain Controllers. Connect to the Internet, fire up the VPN client and see what happens.

One other thing - if your workstation is using a static IP address, make sure the WINS servers you have configured, are correct for the NT network your are trying to browse. The VPN client won't replace WINS servers for a static IP configuration, only DHCP.

Good luck!

another trick

there isa option in the 3000 client and that is Dial before login for on e of my my customer this setting helped me cause this is real authentication from the login domain .

first u set up the ipsec tunnel and then u'll login, also try to type wrong password cause if u r not getting the message that password id not correct or the domain can not log u in, it means some thing is wrong .

so try this.

Not sure if W98 has this option but look for file and print sharing on the VPN client and make sure it is enabled

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content