Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Can't Connect to VPN with Compaq Armada

We are unable to connect to our VPN when using the dial up connection on the Compaq Armada. This laptop has an on-board NIC. Windows 2000 Operating system. We can connect when we are attached to the network. I've tried disabling the NIC in device manager. We dial the ISP, and then after a short time we get a "GI GetStat callback timed out". It never looks like it talks to the concentrator. Anyone else have this problem. We have other brands of laptop, without the on-board nic, that this works okay on. I've tried different versions of the client, the last attempt was with 3.6.1 version.

Community Member

Re: Can't Connect to VPN with Compaq Armada

A similar peoblem seems to be documented with the WIN 98 platform, where when using IKE on UDP 500, the concentrator seems to be receiving no data. That scenarion uses dial-up too and is documented as bug CSCdz77803.

Community Member

Re: Can't Connect to VPN with Compaq Armada

I finally got it working with both the NIC and the dial up. It was a very convoluted process. It appears that the "Deterministic Network Enhancer" was only bound to the onboard NIC. At least that is my perception, because when I remove the NIC, that went away for all network connections, including my dial up ones. To fix, I uninstalled the Netware Client, removed all net cards, including the miniport ones, removed TCP/IP and restarted. I let the NIC install, choose to replace one file (E100BNT.SYS) and restarted. I then disabled the NIC for the "undocked" profile. Installed the 3.6.1 version of the client and restarted. Tested and the dial up work. I then reactivated the network card for the "undocked" profile and that tested okay. I then retried the dial up and it continued working.

CreatePlease to create content