cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can the VPN Client run in a Windows XP VM

davidlaub
Level 1
Level 1

My company isn't (yet) supporting the Cisco VPN client for Windows Vista. Since my home Windows XP computer has just crashed, I need to by a new computer - and most come now with Vista preinstalled - so I need to know whether I have to set up a dual boot PC (One partition with Vista, one with XP) or whether I can create a XP VM within Vista, and run the Cisco VPN XP client in that VM

2 Replies 2

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Cisco VPN client will run on Windows vista as long it is a 32bit platform.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/cisco_vpn_client/vpn_client500_501/release/notes/51client.html#wp1024664

You can also virtualize XP to run off Vista as well as run Cisco VPN client off it , but keep in mind VMware or virtual PC apps do requires good amount of RAM to run smoothly.

Partitioning for dual boot is feasable but is more administrative work to go back and forth between the two OS's.

I would suggest if you intend to get Vista 32bit is to simply use Cisco VPN client for Vista.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks - that's exactly what I needed!

David Laub

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: