cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can two PIXes with UR licence work as failover ?

bipin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two PIX with UR licence. Will I be able to use one as failover if I connect the ethernet interfaces back to back ?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,

Bipin

5 Replies 5

r.state
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bipin,

no you can't do this, you can however send an email to licensing@cisco.com along with the serial number of your pix stating you wish to convert the pix from a ur to an fo, and they will send you a new activation key which will enable this feature. I believe this should not be a chargeable request as an fo pix is cheaper to purchase than a ur. however make sure you keep a copy of your present activation key to avoid you paying for the upgrade if you wish to revert it back to a ur in the future.

hope this helps,

Rowan

Another post on this thread already answered this question correctly but I wanted to jump in (for posterity sake) and note that the above post is incorrect. You can indeed use two UR PIX's as a failover pair. An FO license is *not* required. The FO license is offered as a to provide a price break for customers wanting to deploy PIX's in a failover scenerio. Hope this helps clarify.

Scott

Scott,

Quite right chap.

I will now beat myself about the head with a wet fish!

Bipin - sorry for the bum information.

Nah, make is a wet noodle instead that you beat yourself about the head with. It wasn't that big of a deal ;) Plus, it was probably early in the day when you wrote it.

Scott

shannong
Level 4
Level 4

You can use a serial cable directly between the two or the newer LAN-based failover. Connecting ethernet faces back to back isn't a requirement but that is one way to deploy failover.

UR means unrestricted. All features are licensed including failover. You simply need to configure and enable failover. The output of [show version] should show you "Failover: Enabled". While I've never used Failover with two UR Pixs, I can't think of any reason you will not be able to do this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card