Cannot access ISP mail after VPN connection

timwilde
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following configuration;

Windows 2000 Professional software on my Laptop

A Cisco router configured for VPN access at my office

MS Proxy server on my NT4.0 Server in the office

I have installed the Windows 2000 VPN client on a Laptop and use this to connect to the CISCO VPN configured in my Office router via my ISP’s dialup connection.

If I make a dialup connection direct to my ISP I am able to collect my mail from their servers via Outlook express without any problems. I am also able to access WEB pages

However once I make my connection to the office VPN over the dialup connection I am unable to collect my personal mail from my ISP. I receive an error message

“The host 'mail.btinternet.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D”

I have been in contact with my ISP and they tell me that I am unable to access severs on their network as the IP address I am using is the one allocated from the VPN server in my Office and this is a different IP range from those allowed to access their servers

Is there any solution whereby I can bypass the VPN connection for WEB and Local mail and use the ISP dialup connection even when connected to the VPN.. I would like my Laptop to use my ISP dialup connection for WEB pages and Outlook Express mail BUT use the VPN connection to my office for Office related traffic

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Reply 1

cjacinto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have to enable split tunnelling on the router to do so, see sample on:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122t/122t8/ftunity.htm#xtocid21

See the section:

Configuring Cisco IOS for Remote Access VPN Enhancements Example

and take note of the use of the acl keyword.