cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot get a connection with an XP box to a 1720 or 1721

Jkrider
Level 1
Level 1

Is there some reason that a Windows XP machine running through a 1720 or 1721 router would not be able to ping, tracert, or anything else for that matter? Yet, Windows 95 with the same configuration works fine. I connect the same XP machine to the private network and everything works fine. I plug it back into a mini-hub connected directly to our Cisco internet router and poof! Nothing! I am trying to bypass our firewall so that we can connect to this XP box with a public IP. FYI when connected to the private network I do have private 10.10. style IP's, once I plug into the mini-hub I change to 209.251 style IP's....again, Windows 95 works fine!

7 Replies 7

ovanjara
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

A good place to start here would be to run a "debug ip icmp" on the router and see if the icmp packets reach the router from your XP machine. If they do what kind of messages show up on the router?

Let me know what the output looks like from the debug command.

Thanks,

Obaid.

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

XP has some built in firewall features. Could it be enabled?

mhoda
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Please try disabling the firewall on XP and see if that ressolves the issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/using/howto/homenet/icf.asp

If your 95 machine can ping, I would assume you are not blocking icmp traffic on the router.

Thanks,

Mynul

The Firewall is disabled. We are going to submit some debugging info once we complete it today. If icmp is disabled, you should still be able to do a tracert correct? The XP box doesn't even see the first hop. I tried setting the gateway on XP to the router IP and still nothing. Just to be clear, there is NOTHING except a POS D-Link minihub between this machine and the router. I know the ports on the minihub are fine because the 95 machine gets through fine on the same port after switching them. Thank you all for your comments......they are all welcome!

tracert uses ICMP, thus the problem with tracert too.

Let us know what the debugs look like.

Thanks,

Obai.

Hi,

This makes me wonder where the XP is connected to? To a switch? Please make sure that you don't have the 802.11x authentication on? Whats the status of the port on the switch ? If the port status shows ok on the switch,

Pl. execute "show arp" on your next hop device and see if you see the mac address for the XP's ip address. If you don't see, then make sure the vlan config on the switch, also run

"debug arp"

If you see the arp, then its your layer III. In that case, you can run "debug ip icmp" to see if the router seeing the packet and if any acl denying the packet.

Thanks,

Mynul

Hi Mynul,

The XP box is not plugged into a switch. Rather, its plugged into a $12.95 D-Link 4 port mini-hub. I think my "Network Guy" is doing some debugging as we speak....I'll pass this info along to him.....THX again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: