cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change CSA Agent Names

RichardSW
Level 1
Level 1

When I have a CSA Agent check in for the first time, its listed in the system by whatever the machine name was.

I would like to change these so they follow a custom identification scheme that doesn't rely on the host name. Is this possible?

3 Replies 3

tsteger1
Level 8
Level 8

Not to my knowledge, the agent reports the NetBIOS name.

Based on my observation, its actually the dns-based host name. In the Host table, the UIDs are unique and mapped to Host IDs which are also unique, and I'm wondering if the Hostname can be changed in the table with no ill effect. But instead of manipulating the table directly I'd prefer to do it through the MC.

We don't register our machine names in DNS so they report what the machine reports. I have't tried it any other way so that's all I know about it. When we change a machine name it reports the new name to the MC.

We've also had cloned machines that already had CSA installed reporting with the same UID and different names (and told them to uninstall and reinstall CSA). It's very interesting to do a refresh on the MC and watch the name change as each host polls and reports it's name. :-)

Tom S