cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing interfaces

cef2lion2
Level 1
Level 1

Have a Pix 525. Wanting to switch our outside interface from cooper to the fiber connection. The outside interface is nameif 'outside' while the fiber is nameif 'intf2'.

Can I rename the interfaces by editing the config or using the Web interface? That way all my access lists follow the interface name which will now be the fiber interface. Talked to tech support and they said it wouldn't work. I don't see why as my access lists all point to the interface name 'outside'. My method would rename my current outside cooper interface to something else and give the 'outside' name to the fiber port.

3 Replies 3

mmorris11
Level 4
Level 4

I would think that if you rename the current "outside" interface first and then name the new interface "outside" that it might work. Never tried this tho.

lolayo
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think it'll work since your commands are attached to an interface, not to a name. Try this if you have static commands,

static (inside,outside) 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.255

If you change the name of the outside interface to test, you will find that all your statics, nat,...

will follow, they will change automatically to

static (inside,test) 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.255

This would make me think that they're attached to an interface and not to a name.

Hope this helps

I follow this thinking but what if I text edited the config and download it to the PIX and then rebooted?

Here are the interfaces before.

interface Ethernet0

speed 100

duplex full

nameif outside

security-level 0

ip address X.X.X.X X.X.X.X

interface GigabitEthernet0

shutdown

nameif intf2

security-level 0

no ip address