Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Changing location of the database with IEV

Anyone know how to change the drive that IEV is storing the data in? It's currently saving it to my C drive and I want to store it on my D: drive.

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES

Re: Changing location of the database with IEV

Well, I figured out how to do it... Too bad I can't rate my own reply :)

After lots of tweaking and completly breaking my MySQL install, it looks like all that you need to do is the following (TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK):

1. Stop the Cisco IDS Event Services and MySQL services through the services control panel

2. Backup the c:\my.cnf to myBackup.cnf

3. Edit c:\my.cnf and replace the data location directory string with your new directory location.

4. Copy the files and directories from the current location to your new location (using Xcopy).

5. Cross your fingers (this does make it harder to type and click on the mouse)

6. Restart your services (MySQL and Cisco IDS Event Viewer)

7. Verify that your new data directory is growing in size (dir /s) and that your old one has grown stagnant.

8. Celebrate

9. Realize that I have no idea how future IDS EV upgrades will affect this change, but I spent enough time on it so i thoughtt I'd post it for all to learn from.

Denny

Cisco Employee

I haven't used IEV in awhile, but if my memmory serves me correctly the installation allows you to install IEV in any directory you want.

So to have the database be on another driver you could have changed the installation location from the C: drive to your other drive.

If you needed to keep your current events and configuration you could have tried copying them from the C: drive into a temporary folder.

Then uninstall IEV and install it to the new location. Then try copying the files into the newly installed location. This way the installation mechanism itself would have taken care of making sure everything was pointing to the new location for you. (NOTE: I haven't specifically tried this, so it would be a try at your own risk method.)

Reinstalling IEV was something I was trying to avoid...

Obviously I could have reinstalled it and picked a different directory for it.

Views
Helpful
Replies