cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 501 - 50 User license?

pschwalger
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone please advise how Cisco determines the 50 user license limit.

A company I do business with has a Cisco 501 which is used ONLY for remote vpn (Windows XP - using PPTP) users to connect to internal hosts.

Internal users are routed to the internet via a PFsense firewall.

They have 25 remote users nationally & internationally but they have a problem getting any more than 12-16 remote users connected concurrently.

If there are multiple internal hosts being accessed by the remote users, how are the licenses counted i.e. is it 50 x unique source ip addresses or is it

based on session limits in the translation (xlate) table.

I have done a bit of reading and have read differing views so am a bit confused.

I have been asked to help troubleshoot this problem & have asked for details of the Cisco 501 config, error messages, IOS etc...BUT Im told that everything works fine EXCEPT that they hit a limit of approx 12-16 remote users connected concurrently so I was wondering if this was possibly a licensing problem?

thanks, Peter

1 Reply 1

pschwalger
Level 1
Level 1

PIX version is 6.3(5)

Remote users are radius authenticated...

Another question this probably leads to is how many simultaneous VPN peers will a Cisco 501 support with a 10 / 50 User License.

e.g. Maximum number of simultaneous site-to-site or remote access IKE Security Association (SAs) supported...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card