Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 670 as firewall

Do the Cisco 670 series DSL routers provide an effective business class firewall against intrusion and DOS attacks? (Assuming they've been upgraded to latest software versions).

I realize these routers do not provide firewall features for implementing security policies or managing VPN access. But I am interested in the question of blocking intrusion.

Thanks,

Dave

1 REPLY

Re: Cisco 670 as firewall

I don't consider it a "business class" firewall at all. However, the final question about blocking intrusion: yes, you can set up pretty comprehensive access-lists to restrict and control access to a point. However, the other things which makes a box a firewall will always be missing.

As far as DoS attacks, I think it would crack with almost no effort at all. Such a small box will be pretty busy with legitimate traffic, let alone trying to fend of a DoS attack.

Unless you can upgrade this device with the Cisco IOS Firewall feature set (and I don't think it can), I wouldn't use it as a firewall for anything above SOHO or small office use. Even then, I'd be darned sure the customer understands the position he will be in.

Views
Helpful
Replies