Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CISCO 677 ADSL ROUTER

I have a small business/home network with a Cisco 677 router and I am not an expert. I have been advised that I need firewall software to protect my system (two Windows 98 PCs). I have also read that most router do provide some kind of protection against hackers. Would anyone give me some advice as to whether should I install firewall software?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES

Re: CISCO 677 ADSL ROUTER

Try Tiny Personal Firewall at www.tinysoftware.com. Free for personal use.

I don't know the 677 router but i'm sure you can add some filters with it. Combine with Tiny, you will have something very good. Oh, don't forget a good antivirus software. I like PCCillin from trendmicro (www.antivirus.com)

Regards.

Benoît

Benoit, many thanks for your useful advice

Jose

Hi Jose,

Is your ISP using IPCP to obtain an address for the ATM port? If so, and you have a private address range on the Ethernet port, the 677 can run NAT as well as the filters mentioned.

Console port 38400,8,N,1:

set nat enable

write

reboot

If you have a couple of valid addresses from the ISP allocated to your PC's leave NAT disabled (by default)but for both cases as already suggested by Benoit, get some firewall software. We recommend our DSL customers to use Zonealarm - free download and updates.

http://www.zonealarm.com/download/index.html

Also, be sure that Telnet is disabled. It should be by default but that depends on if your ISP needs it for management/fault finding

set telnet disable

write

reboot

As for the filters, they are apparently easy to configure but best if you go here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/dsl_prod/c600s/cbos/cbosug/03chap02.htm#xtocid2383111

Be aware that the 677 is now EOL, becoming obsolete April 6 2006. If you can get you hands on an 827 you'll be better off as they run full IOS. Not that 2006 is soon!!

HTH

Ali

Ali, many thanks for your useful advice

Jose

Deny telnet and enable NAT for IP masking. And use strong alphanumeric pwds. These measures should work fine, without your having to get a firewall, until you can get yourself a new 800 series router using IOS. I used to work for an ISP that used the 673 and 677 routers for CPEs in the field. They ran CBUS, not IOS. They were a real pain in the ***.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content