cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 7200 series and firewall setup

walter.daniels
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client with a Cisco 7200 router. They want to host there web page in-house. I think they should get a flavor of pix or and place a web server on the DMZ area of there network. Is it possible to upgrade the exisiting Cisco IOS with the Firewall feature set and accomplish the same thing. I did not think this was possible but want to verify it before I inform the customer of my findings. Answer needed ASAP. Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

bstremp
Level 2
Level 2

Generally, PIX is the way I would go with this. In that case, you’ll likely need an outside router to connect to the SP as well. There are firewall feature IOS images available but if you can keep the firewall off your core router you’re probably better off.

I agree! if the 7200 functions as the Service delivery point of presence, or is a part of the Core services, I would not run firewall functionality on this platfrom. If you are between a rock and a hard place, then by all means. If that PIX is available, why use a new feature that may not be as secure as the box designed for this function.