Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 806 VPN capabilities

spejic
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco experts:

I just purchased a Cisco 806 router on Ebay with 16 MB of ram / 12 mb flash. It will take some time to arrive, but I thought I'd ask some general questions right now. I am not sure which IOS version is included. My questions: 1. Is this amount of ram sufficient for running (any type of) VPN, or do I need to upgrade to 32 MB of ram ? 2. Does a "basic" (non-3des) IOS image for 806 support any type of VPN encryption? 3. Can I expect to be able to establish VPN tunnels with consumer-grade VPN routers, such as Linksys BEFVP41 and if so, do I need an "optional" IOS image or will a base image do ? 4. Can I use a VPN client to connect to the 806 (such as Cisco VPN Client, Greenbow, or SecurePoint) or does this router only support VPN tunneling to other Cisco VPN routers ?

Thank you in advance for your answers, and sorry if the amateur hour seems a little high!

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

I feel it may be shipped with normal IP base ios code with which you wont be able to configure up any kinda VPN.

c806-k9osy6-mz.122-4.YA10.bin 20 8

I did give a search on the IOS repository for your hardware with your current hadware.

I did find a close match in 12.2 main release but that require 20M Memory and 8M Flash space.

You got to have the following feature sets available for 806 and you require the 3DES image to have VPN(ipsec) support..

IP PLUS

IP/FW PLUS

IP/FW PLUS 3DES

regds

Thank you very much for your answer, much apprechiated! I guess I will have to obtain a 32 mb stick of ram to start playing with VPN!