cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 806 vpn design question

tracey.marshall
Level 1
Level 1

I have 20+ remote sites with Cisco 806 routers which vpn back to a central pix firewall. However, one of the remote sites would like to access the other remote sites for support purposes. The pix will not "join" the vpns together to permit communication between the remote sites so another solution I am considering is to set up direct vpns from one remote site to all others. This will result in a Cisco 806 having 20+ vpn configurations, although only 1 or 2 will be active at any one time. The Cisco 806 can support 10 simultaneous vpns but I'm not sure if it will take the config for the number I require. Does anyone have any information? Also, if anyone has a better solution, I would appreciate your thoughts?

Thanks,

Tracey Marshall

1 Reply 1

jsivulka
Level 5
Level 5

I too am looking for an answer to the same question. All the documentation that I have referred to speaks about "up to ten simultaneous tunnels" and not about configurations for max 10 tunnels. That leads me to believe that what you are trying to do might work, ie configure the 806 for 20 tunnels, though only maximum 10 can be active at a given time. Could you share what you have found? Here is another take at the same problem. If I were you I might consider upgrading the 806 in question to a higher router. The greatest advantage of doing that would be redundancy that will get built into the network and provide a backup for a situation where the PIX fails.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: