cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 827H router with VPN, Firewall performance.

mpdavies
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have a remote office with 3 users who I wish to connect to the main office via a VPN tunnel. I am connecting the remote office to the internet with a 1024k ADSL line.

I am planning to use a Cisco827H with IOS enabled for VPN,FW,IDS and 3DES.

I have been informed there may be performance issues with this router running at 1024k on the ADSL interface with the VPN encryption 3DES AND firewall functionality enabled.

Are there any guidelines regarding the performance of this device, especially if there would be any degradation to the 1024k ADSL interface together with additional functionality enabled, such as 3DES encryption and Firewall enabled.

Many Thanks.

2 Replies 2

csonnen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I had the same question asked to cisco presales and the said that the 827 is not fast enough for 1 Mbit with 3DES enabled.

They recommended the 1710 model with hardware 3DES and a 10/100 MBit LAN- and a 10 MBit WAN-Interface. From what they said, it should work with Speeds up to 2 MBit with 3DES and FW etc.

Hope that helps...

Christoph

Thanks very much for your help,

I find it a little strange that cisco don't produce performance information such as this as standard documentation for their products.

Thanks again.

Martin