cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 831 VPN

tstewartradinc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I am trying to access my cisco 831 behind another vendor's hardware firewall for VPN services. I have the VPN enabled on the inside interface. I am not using the outside interface at all. I basically want to use this device just for VPN services.

eg.

{Internet}-WAN->FIREWALL-> Forward VPN Services->CISCO831(LAN)

Can I forward ports at the firewall level to allow VPN connections on the cisco device?

If so, is there a way to relay the DHCP requests to my DHCP server rather than allocate a pool on the VPN device?

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

jbayuka
Level 5
Level 5

The DHCP protocol supplies automatic configuration parameters such as an IP address with a subnet mask, default gateway, DNS server address, and WINS address to hosts. Initially, DHCP clients have none of these configuration parameters. They obtain this information by sending a broadcast request for it. When a DHCP server sees this request, the DHCP server supplies the necessary information. Due to the nature of these broadcast requests, the DHCP client and server must be on the same subnet. Layer 3 devices such as routers and firewalls do not typically forward these broadcast requests by default.

Refer to the following document for more information

PIX/ASA 7.x as a DHCP Relay Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a008075fcfb.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: