cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Announces New IDS Products

joelmcf
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

February 18, 2003 - Cisco Systems, Inc. today unveiled an array of new extensions its Efficient Intrusion Protection System. These new platform and software enhancements include Cisco IDS Software Version 4.0, new Cisco Threat Response (CTR) technology, the Cisco IDS 4250-XL Sensor and Cisco Catalyst® 6500 Series Intrusion Detection System (IDSM-2) Services Module, and improved intrusion protection management.

More details can be found at http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/prod_021803.html

15 Replies 15

jeff.roback
Level 1
Level 1

When are the 4.0 file scheduled to be posted to CCO?

To upgrade existing 3.x sensors to 4.0 requires a re-image of the harddrive from an upgrade CD. The harddrive has to be re-imaged because of changes to the operating system.

The upgrade CD can be ordered from the "Order Latest Upgrade/ Recovery CD " link on the following site:

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/ciscosecure/ids/crypto/

Ordering of the upgrade CD through this site requires a SmartNET contract.

With the SmartNET contract the upgrade CD is available at no extra cost.

If you do not have a SmartNET contract then you will need to purchase the 4.0 upgrade CD. The part number for the upgrade CD is IDS-SW-K9-U and is list priced at $5,700.00.

4.0 upgrade files that will be posted to CCO can only be used to upgrade sensors already running the version 4.0 software (sensors already re-imaged to 4.0 from the CD). The 4.0 upgrade files will be released as upgrades to version 4.0 are completed.

If you are not yet running version 4.0 then you will need to order the Upgrade CD.

If you are already running version 4.0 then please be patient with us as we prepare to release our first signature update for 4.0.

Signature Updates for 4.0 will coincide with Signature Updates for version 3.1 appliances.

Got it. I have a SmartNet contract now, but CCO doesn't recognize any equipment as being on the contract, so I'll keep working with the CCO folks to get it corrected.

Once they get that fixed, is it the standard IDS-SW-U upgrade CD, or is there a special part # for the 4.0 upgrade?

I have the same problem with my contract. Customer Service advised me to check with TAC and TAC just told me to download it. Is this available for download somewhere? I thought that the upgrade from 3 to 4 was only available on CD. How can I get the upgrade?

The 4.0 upgrade is not available as a download.

The upgrade from 3.x to 4.0 must be done with the upgrade CD.

You would need to verify that your contract number is the correct one assigned to you when you purchased SMARTnet for your sensor. If it has been a year or more since the purchase of your sensor you will need to verify that your SMARTnet contract has not expired.

For assistance in managing your SMARTnet and other Cisco service contracts

try going to: http://www.cisco.com/public/scc/

IDS-SW-U is the $5,700.00 purchased upgrade part #. It will contain both the latest 3.1 and 4.0 CDs.

IDS-SW-UPE is the $0.00 part number that is used by the upgrade tool for those users who have a SmartNET contract on their sensors. It is the exact same contents as the IDS-SW-U part number and so contains both the latest 3.1 and 4.0 CDs.

NOTE: Both IDS-SW-U, and IDS-SW-UPE used to contain just the lastest 3.0 CDs. Both were just upgraded so they now contain both the latest 3.1 and 4.0 CDs.

NOTE2: Before attempting to upgrade please refer to the list of supported platforms:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/csids9/15282_01.htm#33119

The older NRS platforms are not supported by version 4.0.

Several users have confused the IDS-4230 with the older NRS-2FE and the IDS-4220 with the older NRS-2E.

To know which model you have you can execute "psrinfo -v" while logged in as root. The command will tell you both the number of processors and the speed. Processor speeds for the older NRS sensors are around 400MHz; while for the IDS-4230 and IDS-4220 the processor speed is around 600MHz.

Does anyone know how long the 3.x version will be supported with signature updates? For those of use who have the non supported NRS-2FE's, are they now boat anchors?

Are they 4.0 CDs available now? RIght this minute? I went to the above mentioned site but I don't pull anything up from there. How do I order the CDs?

Hi,

According to a reply in the "Version 3.1 lifeline" topic in this forum, Cisco intends to keep releasing signatures for 3.1 for the next year. Hope this info helps.

Pete

Cisco intends to keep releasing signatures for 3.1 for AT LEAST the next year.

I'm thinking there's a problem with the upgrade application on CCO, since the SCC application shows my valid contract # and serial # but the upgrade portion does not.

I've opened up tickets with the Internet Commerce support folks, so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Since others appear to be having problems, this may be an application-wide thing.

I have just gotten word from TAC that IDS 4.0 has not been released yet. Marketing pulled the trigger on the press release too soon. 4.0 is slated for release 05-03. I would assume this is why no one seems to be able to get 4.0 I am not sure if the early press release holds true for the other products though.

Thanks for looking into this.

However, I think there's still a problem with the online upgrade tool, since it won't even let me order a 3.0 upgrade CD -- The folks at the IC Tools section don't see the contract as having any valid items on the contract, even though the Service Contract folks confirm that the IDS is on the contract.

I heard back from the IC Tools folks that I should be all software upgrades from TAC, and of course TAC says IDS version upgrades come from the online upgrade tool.

I'm thinking a lot more people may start running into this problem once 4.0 is released (since I'm sure everyone will want it!), so it's probably worth having someone make sure the online upgrade tool is working properly with regards to IDS serial #'s and smartnet contracts.

One of our internal IDS support engineers looked into the issue.

The Upgrade tool was linked to the older part number which is no longer orderable. The part number was updated with a small change that was not propogated to the Upgrade tool. "K9" was added to the part number to designate that the CD contains export controlled encryption software (for SSH and TLS).

We have put in the request to have the part number change propogated to the Upgrade tool. It may take a day or two for the change to take place.

Thank you for pointing this out to us, and for your patience as we get the Upgrade Tool configured properly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: