Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA5505 licensed host limit was exceeded

praveen.kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sir,

I am receiving syslog message - licensed host limit was exceeded.

Deny traffic for protocol 6 src outside:69.162.124.231/7086 dst inside:out-252/80, licensed host limit of 10 exceeded.

What does it mean?

Please help us to understand this issue.

Do we need to buy extra license for the same?

Thanks

Praveen Kumar

7 Replies 7

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Praveen,

Correct. Based on the message, you seem to have ASA with 10 user license and ran out of that license due to 10 local hosts (inside work stations). 'Show Version' command will tell you what license you have. You can check the hosts by using 'Show local-host' command. You may need to purchase additional license based on your requirements. Here is the link for available license options for ASA units.Check Table A-1.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/conf_gd/specs.html#wp1150495

hth

MS

Hello MS,

Thanks for the reply. I am still bit confuse regarding host license means you are talking that it's related to host that how  many user accessing cisco ASA firewall from remotely that showing "host limit was exceed"

Would you please explain in more detail?

Thanks

Praveen Kumar

This message relates to how many users/workstations accessing Internet through ASA (from your LAN). The commands I gave you give you which hosts accessing and what license you have. The link I gave you helps you in planning what license you need so that additional users will not get this message. 

hth

MS

Hello MS,

Thanks for the reply. But I am still confuse about inside host license error in firewall. We

have currently 10 host license for inside host in Cisco asa5505 firewall.

Your mean is that how many user is accessing cisco asa firewall from ASDM in lan that's why we getting 10 host limit exceed error.

or

how many servers have internet access in VM so we are getting 10 host license exceed error

Would you please explain in more detail?

Let me introduce about my setup scenario

1 ) We have 3 servers (Vmware ESXi server)

2) We have more than 20 server on all 3 physical server.

Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Praveen Kumar

Hi Praveen, server or desktops... it does not matter. With the basic license you can have only 10 devices behind the firewall in your private lan. The link MS provided says the same thing. 

Thanks!

Saji

Hi Saji,

Thanks for the reply.

I got your point. I want to know how to upgrade our basic 10 license host to 50 host or unlimited license. 

Please share me some link for buying cisco asa license upgrade.

Thanks

Praveen Kumar

Hi Praveen,

Depending on your requirements and the budget, contact the local Cisco sales for the pricing on the licenses.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en_in/about/contacts.html

Once you have the activation key, it is a peice of cake. I see your attachement and it looks like you are using ASDM. Use the following command on the CLI for activating the new key.

1) ASA#show activation-key <To see the present activation key>
2) ASA#conf t
3) ASA(config)#activation-key ******** <whatever key you got>
The ASA will show you the difference between the present running key and the new key you have entered. It will ask to reload for new features to take effect. Once you have the time prepared for the reload, reload the ASA.
4) ASA(config)#exit
5) ASA#reload <confirm with..yes>
6) ASA#show activation-key <To see the new activation key after the reload>

HTH

Thanks!
Saji

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: