cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CIC

avermoesen
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for a new fault management system to replace the old Netview - I was tempted to replace it by CIC, but does anyone has experience with it in an VPN-MPLS network. Will CIC do the trick or do I need an additional system ?

4 Replies 4

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

You can also look at Device Fault Manager (DFM) as an alternate Fault Management application: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/wr2k/dvftmn/

I wouldn't compare CIC (in fact Micromuse NetCool), which I consider a complete management solution, with DFM (in fact a stripped down version of SMARTS InCharge), which I consider a correlation engine.

In parallel we are using Ciscoworks for inventory purposes. I tried DFM and generated about 4000 e-mails to my postbox. Apparently it doesn't scale well for an IP VPN MPLS network. Leased Lines configured with PPP are interpreted as backup interfaces and so on. Anyhow for backup, change management and inventory you can't get anything better. For fault management ?

You are right about inventory, software, change and configuration management for Cisco equipment you wont find anything better than RME. Concerning fault management I would look at NNM or NetView, but for small networks SNMPc or WhatsUp are also options (plus a ton of others).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: