cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Clean Access Server eth0 port inactive on install

bconnaghan
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to learn how the Cisco NAC appliances work. I have created a small self-contained test network with a Server 2003 domain controller, a fake domain setup and some workstations joined to the domain.

I have two NAC appliances, one is the Server and one is the Manager.

When I follow the instructions from the manual to install the server from the CD everything seems to go fine. I plan to use it as a bridge in the network so I applied the same IP address to both the eth0 and eth1 interface (the eth1 interface is not connected to the network during install as per instructions)

Here is the issue I am having: After configuration is finished and the CCA server re-boots, I cannot ping the server when it is connected by eth0. If I swap the network cable over to eth1, however I can ping the device.

Is this normal?

4 Replies 4

cleidh_mor
Level 1
Level 1

I'm pretty sure that on some models of NAC appliance, the eth0 and eth1 labels are the wrong way round, possibly due to the way that Linux labels them.

That will screw up the licensing then, I think, since I had to give them a MAC address to generate the license file.

Also, when I use the CD to set up the clean access Manager on the other box, I don't have the same problem. eth0 is pingable by IP address.

And...get this. I thought that maybe the NIC was bad, but I tried swapping the machines. Installing manager on Appliance 1 and Server on Box 2 (reverse of the way I did it originally) and the same thing happened. eth0 was not pingable.

I have the same issue. But it gets even stranger; I had the CAM/CAS working in a test LAN enviroment, got the AD SSO to work by appllying VLANs based on AD group membership of the user logging on. Client was pleased.

Move the two NAC devices to their location and reloaded clean both CAM & CAS from CD, did the same configuration and now eth0 (Trusted) can't see the AD domain controller but can see the CAM. I ran nslookup on the CAS to test the network settings and the result is no server found - the DNS server is the AD domain controller.

I had to add a static route for the VLAN IP address that the DC is on. CAS is available from every VLAN now. AD SSO works with role based VLAN assigned via group membership.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: