Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco NAC, Cisco ACS, Microsoft NAP, Anti Virus

mladentsvetkov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm doing a research on the Cisco NAC (without the appliance) concept and I would like to ask the following:

1. Securing network access - Needed products are Cisco ACS and Cisco access devices (2960, for example). The feature needed is NAC Layer 2 IEEE 802.1x. Is this correct?

2. Forcing Windows PC to download OS patches according to company policy. Needed products are Cisco ACS, Cisco access devices, Cisco Trust Agent and Microsoft NAP (Network Access Protection)? Is there a way to do this only with Windows Server (not using NAP)?

3. Forcing Windows PCs to update Anti Virus software. Needed products are Cisco ACS, Cisco access devices, Cisco Trust Agent and Anti Virus server? Is this correct?

Please, give me some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Mladen

2 Replies 2

tstanik
Level 5
Level 5

Cisco NAC as an architecture works best with Cisco (and partners) devices. However the services offered by NAC may work with other devices but NAC is for a centralized management of these services. For securing network access, IEEE 802.1x feature is required. You can configure a server to forcefully apply the patches to the clients.

Thanks for the reply, but still I am a bit confiused (would you please try to answer the questions?):

1. Securing network access - Needed products are Cisco ACS and Cisco access devices (2960, for example). The feature needed is NAC Layer 2 IEEE 802.1x. Is this correct?

2. To force update of Windows patches, do I need a NAC appliance (I can only install CSACS)?

3. To force AV updates, do I need a NAC appliance (I can only install CSACS)?

I refer to

"Implementing Network Admission Control Phase One Configuration and Deployment";

"Network Admission Control Software Configuration Guide - Information About Network Admission Control".

Thanks in advance,

Mladen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: