cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco router for VPN gateway

j.joe
Level 1
Level 1

I need a cisco router to connect a small network of 4 PCs to my HQ through VPN. The small network is using ADSL broadband. Can I choose Cisco 800 series to be the router which can acts as VPN gateway and DHCP server for this small network? What will be maximum limit of throughput for the VPN connection?

4 Replies 4

fmeetz
Level 4
Level 4

I think the 800 would be a good solution for you since you only have 4 or 5 pc’s. If you plan on scaling larger, you might want to go with something larger. The 800 VPN will outperform your available bandwidth (I think it’s 2Mbps at 3DES) so you should do fine.

Would the 678 work as well for the same number of pc's? or does the 678 not support more than one user at the same time? Our buisness also has 5 pc's that need to access vpn at the same time. We use a DSL phone line instead of broadband.

With the 800, can multiple users be signed into vpn at the same time? Or is it still restricted to only 1 at a time?

bwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

I am doing the same thing, except that I am using a 3620. My corporate network uses Ravlin hardware as the VPN gateway. Is it possible to create a tunnel from the Cisco router to any device as long as you configure the correct encryption methods and keys.

Bruce

mailto: bruce@williamsnetworking.com