Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Secure Scanner

dedube23
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have been using the Cisco Secure Scanner for Network Vulnreability testing for a while now. IT seems this product has hit its end of life point. Two things. Are you able to get all the old updates from this product. Second, what are they coming out with to replace this product or should I say what are people using for vulnerability scans

Thanks

David

6 Replies 6

gmauchamer
Level 1
Level 1

The Linux based Nessus and NMAP are some of the best network vulnerability packages.....and they're freeware.

s309973
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, David.

I highly recommend Retina by eEye for your vulnerability scanning needs (outside what any freeware package might be able to serve you)

http://www.eeye.com

The Cisco Security Scanner has always never been the superior vulnerability product available. I have even attended meetings where Cisco represenatives have stated the product has several shortcomings. Their inability to compensate for these shortcomings, in leui of competitive offerings, is ultimately why the product was discontinued. They realized they couldn't contend in the vulnerability scanning marketplace. Those resources originally devoted towards Secure Scanner development were reportedly migrated to their intrusion detection needs.

Hi,

Cisco Scanner was never a great vulnerability scanning product. I would recommend Internet Scanner from Internet Security Systems (ISS). Not only has ISS introduced scanners as a technology to the market way back in 1994 but have maintained technology leadership. They have a wide array of scanners to chose from viz., Internet Scanner (for network based vulnerability assessment), System Scanner (for hosts), Database Scanner & Wireless Scanner (for wireless LANs).

www.iss.net site has the software which can be downloaded and eval keys can also be obtained from them. Probably you guys can test them out.

I would definitely recommend ISS scanners even better than retina & all the freewares put together. Cheers! - Don Venky

maik.behley
Level 1
Level 1

Nessus is the greatest replacement. You must install the nessusd daemon on a linux box. And from your Windows box you can access with a graphical GUI (Client) the linux box and you are able to scan your network for vulnerabilities. It's great.

Greetings

Maik

I tried to use SARA and SAINT for Vuln scanning also have tried NESSUS but just seemed liek an over glorrified port scanner but I will try it some more. I have been merging various scanner softwares then merging the results into one major client

venkatesh.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Cisco Scanner was never a great vulnerability scanning product. I would recommend Internet Scanner from Internet Security Systems (ISS). Not only has ISS introduced scanners as a technology to the market way back in 1994 but have maintained technology leadership. They have a wide array of scanners to chose from viz., Internet Scanner (for network based vulnerability assessment), System Scanner (for hosts), Database Scanner & Wireless Scanner (for wireless LANs).

http://www.iss.net site has the software which can be downloaded and eval keys can also be obtained from them. Probably you guys can test them out.

I would definitely recommend ISS scanners even better than retina & all the freewares put together. Cheers! - Don Venky

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: