Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Security Agent causes problems with laptop

ucbitutoprak
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All:

A laptop which had an earlier version the Cisco Security Agent, got automatically a new version on Saturday. While on the network that uses the agent it worked fine.

However, on subsequent days, the laptop started not functioning properly. It stopped working, and connecting to networks, neither with the wireless antenna nor with an ethernet cable. Uninstalling the Cisco Security Agent has not changed the situation.

• The laptop is a Sony Vaio with Windows 7 home premium.
  • When no ethernet cable is attached and the wireless antenna is physically shut, the computer works fine.
  • If either an ethernet cable is attached or the wireless antenna is on, the computer displays that it is busy.
    • The task manager cannot be accessed
    • No files or folders can be opened.
    • "Start" menu and submenus cannot be accessed.

Has any one else encountered this behavior? Is there a fix?

Unfortunately the computer owner has not activated the "restore point" feature, and the computer cannot be restored to before the installation of the Cisco Security Agent.

Also, computer is thoroughly checked for viruses and malware, and there is no evidence of them.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

So, you uninstalled CSA, and it is still having problems ? How about looking in the task manager, is there still any csa processes running ?

Thanks for your suggestion. I do not see anything running with the name "Cisco" or "CSA". I also went through the descriptions...

It could be of course a totally different name. If this is the case, would you happen to know what else I should look for?

Regards

Make sure you have "Show processes from all users" checked and look for the okclient.exe, leventmgr.exe and csacontrol.exe processes.

If present, see if leventmgr.exe is consuming lots of resources.

None of these processes are present.

It is interesting that the computer works fine when the wifi is shutoff. As soon as turn on the wireless button, it starts having problems.

Does the CSA change anything in the networking settings? (If it does, I wonder why it still works in the safe mode...)

Thanks

Al

Yes, CSA installs several shims and you can see them in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\.

They all begin with csa and there would be eight if CSA was installed.

If you don't have CSA installed, there is no folder under program files and the services aren't running, I would look elsewhere.

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: