cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN 3005 Concentrator

hieuc
Level 1
Level 1

I've upgraded the Concentrator to vpn3005-3.0.2.Rel-3des.bin. All is working fine, except that the VPN will disconnect me after 1 hour of connection time - regardless I was idleing or not.

On the workstation side, it's Win98 running Cisco VPN client 3.01, using AT&T Global Dialup v4.2.6. I've tried connecting from various workstations/laptops and all had the same problem...disconnection after 1 hour. All the configuration for the VPN is set to 8 hours,and it's still not working. Editing the client's file to include "keep alive=1" still didn't help..

Has anyone encoutered this problem before? Any suggestion is greately appreciated.

Thanks.

Hieu

4 Replies 4

malcolm.sole
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, You might check the group inheritance for the disconnect if idle. I have been using this client without problems. There are settings in the base group as well as the defined user group.

Thanks for your response. Under the General tab for Group setting, both the current max. idle time and max. connection time are set to 720 minutes, with Inheritance button unchecked.

Unser IPSEC tab, IKE KeepAlives is also checked with Inheritance unchecked. Did you make any modification on the client side? What dialup ISP are you using?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Hieu

Earthlink mainly. Some users with DSL/Cable Modem

The idle timeout and max connect time should be 0 for infinite connections but 720 should be a reasonable number.

Thanks Malcome. I think the problem resides in the way how the IP addresses are handed out to client's pc via DHCP. I had it going to our Novell server to obtain an IP address, so for whatever the reason, if the client doesn't get a keepalive packet from the server, they lost the IP address..thus, the connection was dropped.

I've then setup an IP address pool within the VPN box, and it seems to work out quite well now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: