cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN Client 4.0.3 conflict with Automatic Standby?

bwparker1
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to no avail to diagnose an issue with a Laptop and Desktop I own running XP Pro and XP Home respectively. On both machines, the standby feature will not automatically launch if the time exceeds 2 minutes under the "Power Management" Options. The only logical cause of this is the Cisco VPN 4.0.3 Client that both machines have/had installed. Previously, my desktop standby worked for any amount of time before it (VPN Client) was ever installed, and I have tried to uninstall it or system restore to no avail. There are ports listed in the Device manager titled "Deterministic Networks Enhancer Miniport" and I cannot remove these, I have tried. Subsequently, Automatic Standby doesn't function properly beyond 2 minutes. I have spent hours on the phone with Dell and Gateway representatives, and they have not been off assistance. Is this a problem that anyone using this VPN client is aware and has a fix so that I can count on my computer automatically powering down in the future?

Thank you,

Brooks Parker

7 Replies 7

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

just wondering whether the issue occurs when there is an active vpn or not.

i quickly tested in the lab without an active vpn and it was working fine.

below are the spec:

windows xp pro sp2 (incl. all windows updates)

vpn client 4.0.3(a)

in fact, i tried 2 min, 5 min, and 10 min.

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

just another test result with an active vpn.

with the same specs, it was working fine. again, i tried 2, 5, and 10 mins.

Unfortunately, it seems that it won't standby whether or not a VPN is enabled. I have tried 5 and 10 minutes, to no avail. Again, I wonder if it has to do with these "Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport" devices that have been created in the Network Adapters Section of the Device manager. So apparently, it is not directly related to the VPN 4.0.3 client. I don't know what else could be causing the machines not to power down, unless it is related to the Verizon DSL service they both connect to. Otherwise, I am at a loss. Thank you for your help and if you have any further advice, I would appreciate hearing it.

Brooks

just verified the lab pc and there is no "deterministic network enhancer miniport". anyhow, it maybe worth to give windows update a go.

on the other hand, to verify whether the issue is related to the dsl service, i guess you can disconnect and test it.

Please do me a favor and check in the device manager, under view, select, show hidden devices.

Please let me know if you see a network adapter labeled "Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport"

If you do not see that, even after having selected the show hidden devices from the view menu, that I'll at least know that it is the likely source of my problem if you do not have it and I do.

Thank you,

Brooks

again, there's sth new everyday. thanks.

back to the conversation, yes i do see now. in fact, the pc got one "deterministic network enhancer miniport" for every single nic, including wireless.

OK, so now I am back to square 1. Thanks for checking into it for me.

Brooks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: